The Disability, Mental Health, Aged Care and Community services sector meets a broad range of needs by the delivery of services to promote physical, social, emotional, mental and spiritual wellbeing. These services are provided by government and non-government organisations, including commercial and not-for-profit.
There are over 500,000 people across Australia working within the community services sector. Since 2000 the industry has grown by 51% and will continue to grow. Now is the time for you to join in this growth and become a part of an industry where what you do really matters!
Is this sector right for you?
- Are you patient?
- Are you able to communicate with others, so things are easily understood?
- Do you have a genuine desire to help others achieve their goals?
- Are you willing to learn and develop new skills?
- Are you flexible?
Benefits of the sector:
- Work-life balance
- Salary packaging
- Career development and progression opportunities
- Client centric – give back to your community!
- Growth industry – not influenced by external pressures such as the global financial crisis
- Cultural fit – work in a sector aligned with your own personal values and enjoy working with like minded people
Before you apply for a role, ask yourself the following questions to ensure that you find the right role for you:
- What are you passionate about, what motivates you?
- Do you now the role you are applying for, the key accountabilities and responsibilities?
- Do the salary expectations meet your needs?
- Does the role offer the training and support you require?
- Do you have the relevant qualifications/certificates/checks that the role requires?
- Does the organisation provide the career development and progression opportunities that you are looking for?
Be prepared – actively research a potential role and the employer so you know what they have to offer you and also what you have to offer them!
Sign up to the Community Careers Newsletter now to receive job seeking tips and keep up to date with industry news!